Technology such as AI, IoT, and cloud computing is transforming workplaces, and the education sector is no exception. South African teachers are invited to attend a cutting-edge two-day workshop to enhance their Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills. This SACE-endorsed workshop will equip teachers with essential digital skills and earn them Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points. As an added bonus, all participants get a copy of the ICT Skills Every Teacher Should Have book.
Why Should Teachers Attend?
Stay Relevant in a Digital World
As educators, staying abreast of the latest technology is imperative. The workshop will address the rapid digital transformation and explain how it affects the education sector.
Enhance Teaching Methods
With improved digital skills, teachers can create more engaging and effective lesson plans using various tools and resources, improving student outcomes.
Personal and Professional Development
This workshop aids in both personal and professional development. Teachers will be equipped with the skills necessary to be more efficient in their work, manage classes better, and contribute positively to their school’s technological growth.
What Will The Workshop Cover?
Understanding the Importance of ICT Skills
- Introduction to Information and Communication Technology and its role in modern education.
- Why It’s Important: Teachers need to understand why staying digitally literate is vital in today’s education sector, where technology is integral to teaching and learning.
Introduction to the Mastery Approach in Technology Integration
- A brief overview of the Mastery Learning approach and how it can be integrated with technology. This is the methodology used for the workshop training.
- Why It’s Important: Mastery Learning is an effective instructional strategy. By combining it with technology, teachers can facilitate better understanding and retention of concepts among students.
Developing ICT Literacy
- Basic computer literacy, internet navigation, and understanding common software.
- Why It’s Important: As a foundational skill, ICT literacy enables teachers to use technology effectively, which is necessary for a modern classroom.
Effective Communication Using Digital Platforms
- Introduction to email, communication apps, and virtual conferencing tools.
- Why It’s Important: Digital communication tools are essential for communicating with students, parents, and colleagues, especially in remote or hybrid learning environments.
Understanding Cloud Computing and its Applications in Education
- Introduction to cloud storage, sharing, and collaboration through platforms like Google Drive and OneDrive.
- Why It’s Important: Cloud computing enables easy access to educational resources, facilitates collaboration, and ensures data safety and availability.
Delve into Productivity Software
- Hands-on training with Microsoft Word for document creation, Excel for spreadsheets, and PowerPoint for presentations.
- Why It’s Important: These are core tools for creating educational content, managing class data, and delivering lessons.
Learn Content Management
- Using platforms like WordPress for creating and managing content such as lesson plans, class websites, and blogs.
- Why It’s Important: Content management systems allow for organized and efficient distribution and sharing of educational material.
Integration of ICT in Teaching
- Practical applications of integrating technology in classrooms, utilizing LMS platforms like Microsoft Teams and Google Classroom.
- Why It’s Important: Integrating technology enhances teaching methods and student engagement, and learning management systems are central to this process.
Online Collaboration Tools
- Use of tools like Google Docs for real-time collaboration, sharing, and feedback.
- Why It’s Important: Collaboration tools foster teamwork and provide efficient ways for teachers and students to work together on projects and assignments.
Understanding Online and Offline Educational Applications
- Exploration of various educational apps and software that can be used in and out of the classroom.
- Why It’s Important: These applications provide additional resources and interactive teaching methods, catering to different learning styles.
Content Curation, Sharing, and Managing Information
- Techniques for finding, organizing, and sharing educational content using tools like OneNote and Class Notebook.
- Why It’s Important: Effective content curation helps teachers provide a richer learning experience and ensures that relevant and quality materials are used in teaching.
Levels of Proficiency
The workshop recognizes that not all teachers have the same technological proficiency level. Hence, it caters to three levels: basic, intermediate, and proficient. Basic is for those new to technology, intermediate is for those who have a fair understanding, and proficient is for those who are already using technology efficiently but want to hone their skills further.
How to Attend
Contact Cambridge University Press and Assessment for more information and to book.
Teachers who attend this workshop will become more adept at using technology and understand how to leverage it to enhance their teaching methodologies. This, in turn, will lead to a more stimulating learning environment and better outcomes for students. With the skills gained, educators will better adapt to the ever-evolving educational landscape.